Saturday, May 17, 2008

Triangle Tribulations

The stinky weather is back - gusting 35+ knots from the SW as yet another cranky low grinds its way across the Atlantic to the north of us.

Just the other day a French yacht crawled back under power to Bermuda after attempting a crossing to Europe via the Azores. The boat no longer had mast or sails. It was ripped off in a surprise Bermuda Triangle blow. Apparently the gale came out of nowhere and descended like fury upon the unsuspecting boat. Now I know where the Triangle gets its reputation. I guess they were lucky not to become one of the 'disappeared'.

I keep a close eye on weather patterns and forecasts. Tuesday might be the day to fly from the nest and dodge my way between the relentless march of lows coming down from the continent. I'll know closer to the date considering I can only get a forecast for seven days ahead. And even that's open to error.

In short, sailing through the Triangle is not for the faint-hearted.

It's a pity John had commitments imposing time restraints. Despite his initial reservations I think he would have enjoyed the brisker sailing in the more northerly latitudes of the Atlantic.

When I approach Nova Scotia I'll have another factor to to deal with. This time of year it's often shrouded in thick, impenetrable fog. Ones ears become sensitive listening for the faint hum of a diesel engine indicating a tanker, freighter or fishing trawler bearing down on you. Silence is golden.

But to PEI I must go, solo (unless a Bermudan beauty jumps aboard at the last minute with the plea "take me away sailor!").

Apart from enjoying the pleasure of my dear Da's company, I'm looking forward to kicking Alan MacLean's butt in a face to face chess match were the on-line excuses of "I made a stupid move because I was drunk / distracted / temporarily insane" will no longer suffice.

Until later,

Simon

P.S. Emma, I tried to call you today. The line was busy, busy, busy. Blabbermouth.

P.P.S. Dear Reader, please feel free to leave a comment, Then I'll know that at least one person has read my blog.

No comments: