Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bermuda blows up

When we arrived here we said we'd stay a week at max. The wind and weather have decided otherwise. Yesterday we had strong winds and heavy downpours with some 3 inches of rain fell in the day. Last night the winds picked up and this afternoon its a full gale with gusts of 40 kts plus. I spend much of my time adjustingdocklines and worring as we are in an exposed position.

John and I studied the weather charts and forecasts the other day and true to form these higher latitudes sport much stronger winds and bigger seas as a rule. John was clearly concerned at the prospect of sailing these seas and I tried to reassure him that the boat could take it as I have discovered sailing those winds and latitudes on a number of occasions.

I'm not sure how well I convinced him but needless to say he decided he wasn't going to have enough time with his Maritime rellys and almost out of the blue decided to fly from Bermuda to Halifax today.

I'm out of time - more later!

hwyl, S.

No comments: