Saturday, April 19, 2008

Into the great behind

All right. Tomorrow we leave. 3 or so weeks at sea. Sounds wonderful to me but there are those of different opinion.

We have no mechanical or other such problems and are fully stocked on food and water. As far as I can tell we are as prepared as we can be.

The BVI's (or rather the island of Tortola as we haven't been to any other island of the BVI's) are wonerful. Very friendly people, lovely climate, and a great sense in music (Trinidad was a little to Soca for me). We have spent about a week in Tortola and although I have enjoyed every minute of it I am really looking forward to heading back to sea and also finally arriving in the Maritimes.

We estimate that it should take us any where from 2 to 3 weeks depending on the strenght of the winds. Also depending on the winds is wherther we'll stop in at Bermuda or not. Some times I wish we will because I'd like to see Bermuda, and other times I think it would better just to do the trip in one hop without having to deal with the extra hassle of more burecrats and such.

This leg will be the longest time I have spent at sea, and I am personally looking forward to it with a mix of youthful anticipation and elderly caution. I know the potential danger the sea can bring, but at the same time the freedom and joy as well. I don't believe I will land in Canada quite the same person. For better or for better or for worst I guess.

Well, next stop Canada.
John

No comments: