Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Arrival

I left Victoria at 0620 in the morning. Over 12 hrs later and I landed in Port of Spain, Trinidad. Upon arrival I encountered stiff opposition. Apparently, all though I had all the need documentation and information, I had some how landed illegaly. At first it seemed that they woud promptly put me back on a plain to Canada, but then in a complete 180 degree turn they said that I could stay, and would have to sign on tomorrow (the original understanding). Weird. But all's well that ends.

Today I was given a tour of Chagauramas. The weather is about 30 degrees. Quite a change coming oivut from thinking a high of 12 was a warm for this time of year. The marinas have no docks, instead all boats are attached to permanent mooring bouys, all laid out in perfect rows so that you couldn't tell they weren't docks until you look closely. Its quite beautiful to see all the boats pivote at the same time to a change in the wind.

The weather here is both brief and constant. You have sudden brief rain showers or increase in wind velocity, which lasts no more than 15 minutes, and then its back to the appresive heat.

Our plans are to get the boat pulled in the next couple of days to clean the bottom and put a fresh coat of anti-fouling paint on. Then provisioning and general readying for sea. We are looking to leave in 1-1 1/2 weeks.

Well thats all for now,
John Foster

No comments: